Reading at St. David's
- Read a varied selection of texts whilst gaining an increased level of fluency, accuracy, independence and understanding.
- Use reading as a means of information gathering and retrieval.
- Be encouraged to develop a positive attitude towards books so that reading is seen as a necessary but pleasurable activity.
- Be taught a variety of strategies to help them read, including: phonics, picture clues, whole word recognition and context.
- Use their reading skills as an integral part of their learning throughout the entire curriculum.
- Have a daily opportunity to read or share books.
- Be encouraged, through reading schemes and a variety of other reading material to continue the reading process at home.
- Have access to the school library as a reference and borrowing facility.
Throughout Foundation Stage & KS1 we use both Big Cat Phonics and Rigby Star reading schemes for home readers and guided texts. We also use the Pearson published ‘Phonics Bug’ reading books to supplement where needed.
You can access further information about Big Cat Phonics by clicking here.
As children move in to KS2, we contnue with the strucute of 'book-bands' - where reading material is linked to age and stage of reading. In lower KS2, children have access to the Pocket Readers texts, which are engaging for all children. The scheme is published by Pearon and is described as:
"Pocket Reads is a superb collection of 120 pocket-sized fiction and non-fiction readers which cannot fail to capture your children's imaginations at KS2. They are especially attractive to children who are put off by too much text.
- Each book is carefully levelled to ensure gradual progression and includes plenty of follow-up activities to encourage further reading and writing.
- Every title is linked to one key reading skill.
- Lots of variety and choice means the boys and girls in your class will always find a pocket-sized read they love.
- Chapter books guaranteed to appeal to all your juniors."
Additional catch up schemes are also accessed by those children who require additional opportunitiy to acquire the reading skills needed as they move through school. These include Dandelion Readers and Talisman Series.
Free readers are also available for all children from Y3 upwards. Years 3 – 6 have access to ReadingPlus. This is an online library of texts and comprehension questions, which can be accessed at school or home. (Year 2 access this resource in the Summer term.)